A group fitness trainer is a microphone-active person in the front of the class, guiding a group of people through a set of specific training routines. Group fitness trainers can teach different courses, including yoga, Pilates, Zumba, physical and mental training, aerobics, strength training, etc. Becoming a team fitness trainer isn’t hard, but it does take time to train and learn. To become the best trainer you should know about the 7 dimensions of wellness.
The skills Fitness Trainer Need:
Becoming a group fitness trainer means working closely with many different people.
- You must have good communication skills.
- Like to be with a large number of groups.
- You should be a trainer that motivate other people to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Be able to arouse a wide range of characters in order to fulfil their full potential.
- Planning and organizing skills are also useful, so you should organize training programs for your clients.
What is Needed to Work?
Once you enter a sports career, you can expect to help people to improve their health. You need to do different activities every day, including:
- Set fitness goals for yourself.
- Submit customer health assessment.
- Provide advice and fitness plans.
- You will be committed to developing programs that meet individual needs.
- Leading group training.
- You teach customers how to use the machine.
- Demonstrate new and existing exercises.
Responsibilities of Group Fitness Trainer:
- Maintain a campus culture that values active lifestyle behavior as a positive and friendly model.
- Organize safe, comprehensive, fun and effective fitness education as planned.
- Designing a training program based on the latest research in sports and health sciences.
- Able to learn and adapt to different sports of people and body shapes.
- Keep knowledge up to date and understand the organization and plan’s understanding of policies and expectations.
- Adaptation to the different learning styles of the participants through physical and verbal communication.
- Holding group classes and teaching various fitness activities.
- Clarify and advise clients to use fitness equipment correctly and safely.
- Consult fitness experts about developing and designing fitness plans.
- Show and teach body movements, techniques and body conditioning procedures.
- Install and monitor fitness equipment and ensure the equipment is safe, clean, and operating normally.
What Makes You a Good Group Fitness Trainer?
An effective team fitness trainer doesn’t have to only pick up instructions at the front of the room. A good coach should be an effective medium of communication, he must listen and know. A good trainer should also be able to explain different fitness levels and skills and adjust the training plan according to individual needs.
For example, you could take a class with people who have had one or two or more injuries or have completely different fitness levels – you need to quickly come up with another option.
You must have a good understanding of the courses taught but have sufficient knowledge of other materials and courses to provide advice and possibly develop a fitness plan. Most importantly, you must be available and able to make the class fun!
How to Become a Group Fitness Trainer?
There are so many types of group classes today that it’s difficult to adapt to groups for beginners in fitness. I now have nearly 10 fitness certifications (and I’m doing another: yoga!), But I didn’t start there. Originally I obtained one full certification from AFAA “Group Fitness Instructor”. This is a good guide on how to achieve your goals: get certified, gain experience and be hired to teach.
1. Determine What Needs to be Treated:
Is it Pilates yoga? Group strength training? You might like aerobics, taekwondo, or body pumps. The easiest way to start is to use one that you can focus on. In my experience (and professional opinion) yoga and pilates are some of the more difficult forms for beginners. Training is longer, more expensive and more complex and due to the nuances and detailed content, teaching is more difficult. Just things to consider – but of course, many people learn and do these things without any fitness experience.
2. Talk to the Right People:
If you want to teach (maybe where you study or at a particular gym), check their training needs and certify their coaches. Rotation is a special form of indoor cycling, as is Schwinn’s. Some venues may require one certification instead of another. Many Les Mills fitness programs are becoming more and more popular, but to learn them, you need to pass certifications that specialize in these styles. If you want to teach, please refer to the requirements. At most gyms, this may include a CPR or first aid certification.
Also, talk to other teachers who teach you to love. Ask them how to get started, where to train and if there are any tips. They may be happy to help you get on the right track, for example, suggest a good degree or training program.
3. Get Certified:
The next step is to define your degree. Both ACE and AFAA have excellent group fitness certifications, which will train you and provide you with a casual learning experience. However, if you want to teach yoga, Pilates, cycling or other special courses, you need this specific certification. You can obtain many certifications through your home study and some require personal training and an exam. Don’t just choose the “simpler”. Decide what format you think will really help you learn and become a good teacher. This will make a big difference in terms of successful course creation and employability.
4. Get the Experience:
You should study as much as possible. Most gyms require you to “listen” as an educational position and you’ll have confidence in yourself. It is also scary to stand in front of people, keep talking, and provide them with the advice they need to train properly and safely. The more you train – even with friends or family – the better. Some stadiums and universities are happy to allow you to “practice” to gain experience, usually for free – but if you are confident and willing to attend class on your own, that makes a big difference. You also need to have experience with some fitness business management software like Wellyx through which you can handle managerial tasks efficiently and focus on training sessions.
You don’t need a college degree to become a team fitness trainer. The most important requirement you must fulfil before becoming certified is that you are over the age of 18.
A group fitness trainer certification differs from a personal trainer certification. If you also want to take personal training, you need a separate certification.
Not all group fitness trainer certifications are valid in more than one country. If you want to attend a fitness class in another country or plan to move to another country, make sure the degree you are looking for allows it.
Set an example for students and clients. If you teach a weight loss class and are overweight while teaching a weight loss class, students will wonder why you are overweight.